Seoseok High School1
Division of Bio-resource Sciences, Kangwon National University2
In order to observe the effects of sowing date on the ‘Mibaek 2’ waxy corn cultivar, we investigated the morphological traits of individuals under early, mid, and late sowing conditions. The budding of early (April 19th), mid (May 10th), and late (May 24th) sown plants was observed at 12 d, 7 d, and 6 d after sowing, respectively. The silking of early, mid, and late sown plants was observed on June 29th, July 14th, and July 27th, respectively. Most of the early-sown plants had an average height of 200 cm, with a minimum of 185 cm and a maximum of 210 cm, while mid-sown plants had a mean height of 212 cm with a minimum of 196 cm and a maximum of 233 cm. The average height of late-sown plants was 232 cm, with a minimum of 215 cm and a maximum of 241 cm. The longest ear length and the highest value of 100-kernel weight were observed in early-sown plants compared to mid-and late-sown plants. Our findings suggest that it is more advantageous to sow the ‘Mibaek 2’ waxy corn cultivar as early as possible to obtain the highest productivity.
1. Jung, T. W., Moon, H. G., Cha, S. W., Kim, S. L., Kim, S. K., Son, B. Y. (2001) Comparison of grain quality characteristics in waxy corn hybrid with a white and a black colored pericarp. Korean J Breed 33:40-44.
2. Kettaisong, D., Suriharn, B., Tangwonchai, R., Lertrat, K. (2013) Changes in physicochemical properties of waxy corn starches at different stages of harvesting. Carbohydr Polym 98:241-248.
3. MAFRA (2015) Agriculture, food and rural affairs statistics yearbook. Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.
4. Nielsen, R. L. (2007) Ear size determination in corn. Purdue Univ. [On-Line]. Available at http://www.kingcorn.org/ news/ timeless/EarSize.html.
5. Park, K. J., Park, J. Y., Ryu, S. H., God, B. D., Seo, J. S., Min, H. K. (2007) A new waxy corn hybrid cultivar, ‘Mibaek 2’ with good eating quality and lodging resistance. Korean J Breed Sci 39:108-109.
6. Park, K. J., Park, J. Y., Seo, Y. H., Ryu, S. H., Choi, J. K., Kim, H. Y. (2016) Anthocyanin-rich purple waxy corn single cross hybrid ‘Cheongchunchal’. Korean J Breed Sci 48:173-178.
7. Park, J. Y., Woo, S. Y., Sa, K. J., Lee, J. K. (2015) Genetic analyses for yield components and heterosis in maize elite inbred lines. Korean J Breed 47:345-356.
8. Park, S. U., Cha, S. W., Son, Y. H., Son, Y. K. (1994) Changes of sugar content by different storage duration in sweet corn and super sweet corn. Korean J Crop Sci 39:79-84.
9. Rural Development Administration (RDA) (2015) Standard incomes for agricultural and livestock products. pp: 11. http://www.nongsaro.go.kr/portal/ps/psb/psbf/frmprdIncomeInfoNew.ps?menuId=PS00085.
10. Seo, Y. H., Park, K. J., Chang, E. H., Ryu, S. H., Park, J. Y., Kim, K. H. (2014) Effect of salicylic acid and abscisic acid on drought stress of waxy corn. Korean J Crop Sci 59:54-58.