Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University1
Biological and Genetic Resources Assessment Division, National Institute of Biological Resources2
Skin aging is associated with increased reactive oxygen species (ROS) production by human cells, which is characterized by wrinkles and atypical pigmentation. Use of antioxidants is an effective approach to prevent symptoms associated with ROS-induced skin aging. Although synthetic antioxidants have been used to remove free radicals, several studies have reported that the synthetic antioxidants have side effects that cause long-term edema, which subsequently results in cancer and intracellular toxicity. Therefore, the study of safe and functional antioxidants derived from natural products is necessary for replacement of synthetic antioxidants. In this study, the antioxidant and anti-aging effect of Rhododendron mucronulatum Turcz. extracts (RTE) on human dermal fibroblasts (HDFs) were investigated. We confirmed that RTE markedly reduced hydrogen peroxide-induced cell damage, intracellular ROS, and oxidative stress-induced senescence in HDFs. These results suggest that RTE is potential natural source of antioxidant and anti-aging compounds.
1. Choi, S. I., Lee, J. S., Lee, S., Lee, H. J., Kim, B. J., Yeo, J., Jung, T. D., Cho, B. Y., Choi, S. H., Lee, J. H., Kim, J. Y., Lee, O. K. (2017) Antioxidant and anti-aging effects of extracts from leaves of castanea crenata Siebold & Zucc. in human dermal fibroblast. J Food Hyg Saf 32:243-248.
2. Chung, T. Y., Lee, S. E. (1991) Volatile flavor components of Jindalrae flower (Korean azalea flower, Rhododendron mucronulatum Turczaninow). J Korean Agric Chem Soc. 34:344-352.
3. Claude, S., Manabu, K., Laura, M., Lester, P. (1999) Antioxidants modulate acute solar ultraviolet radiation-induced NFκB activation in a human keratinocyte cell line. Free radical Biol Med 26:174-183.
4. Droge, W. (2002) Free radicals in the physiological control of cell function. Physiol Rev 82:47-95.
5. Harman, D. (1992) Free radical theory of aging. Mutat Res 275:257-266.
6. Cho, M. L., Lee, J. S., Lee, S., Son, Y. K., Bae, C. H., Yeo, J., Lee, H. S., Ma, J. G., Lee, O. H., Kim, J. Y. (2015) Antioxidant activity of 11 species in Korean native forest plants. Korean J Food Nutr 25:1098-1106.
7. Jeong, C. H., Jeong, H. R., Choi, G. N., Kwak, J. H., Kim, J. H., Park, S. J., Kim, D. O., Shim, K. H., Choi, S. G., Ho, H. J. (2011) Neuronal cell protective effects of hot water extracts from guava (Psidium guajava L.) fruit and leaf. Korean J Food Preserv 18:124-129.
8. Jeong, H. R., Kwak, J. H., Kim, J. H., Choi, G. N., Jeong, C. H., Heo, H. J. (2010) Antioxidant and neuronal cell protective effects of an extract of Houttuynia cordata Thunb (a culinary herb). Korean J Food Preserv 17:720-726.
9. Jurkiewicz, B. A., Bissett, D. L., Buettner, G. R. (1995) Effect of topically applied tocopherol on ultraviolet radiation-mediated free radical damage in skin. J Invest Dermatol 104:484-488.
10. Jurkiewicz, B. A., Buettner, G. R. (1994) Ultraviolet light-induced free radical formation in skin: An electron paramagnetic resonance study. Photochem Photobiol 59:1-4.
11. Kim H. S., Im, N. R., Park, J. H., Kim, M. O., Park, S. N. (2014) Antioxidative effect and active component analysis of Gnaphalium affine D. DON. Extracts. J Soc Cosmet Sci Korea 40:11-20.
12. Kim, D. J., Jung, J. H., Kim, S. G., Lee, H. K., Lee, S. K., Hong, H. D., Lee, B. Y., Lee, O. H. (2011) Antioxidants and anti-obesity activities of hot water and ethanolic extracts from Cheonnyuncho (Opuntia humifusa). Korean J Food Preserv 18:366-373.
13. Kim, M., Jones, A. D., Chung, T. Y. (1996) Antioxidative activity of flavonoids isolated from Jindalrae flowers (Rhododendron mucronulatum Turcz.). Agric Chem Biotechnol 39:320-326.
14. Lee, Y. H., Ho, J. N., Dong, M. S., Park, J. H., Kim, H. K., Hong, B. S., Shin, D. H., Cho, H. Y. (2005) Transfected HepG2 cells for evaluation of catechin effects on alcohol-induced CYP2E1 cytotoxicity. J Microbiol Biotechnol 15:1310-1316.
15. Pak, W. M., Kim, K. B. W. R., Kim, M. J., Park, J. H., Bae, N. Y., Park, S. H., Ahn, D. H. (2016) Anti-melanogenesis and anti-wrinkle effects of Sargassum micracanthum extracts. Microbiol Biotechnol Lett 44:19-25.
16. Safer, A. M., Al-Nughamish, A. J. (1999) Hepatotoxicity induced by the antioxidant food additive, butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), in rats: an electron microscopical study. Histol Histopathol 14:391-406.
17. Yoon, Y., Choi, S. J., Park, W. J., Eom, S. Y., Lee, S. K., An, I. S. (2012) The protective effect of extracts of Bifidobacterium longum against Ultraviolet B in human dermal fibroblasts. Kor J Aesthet Cosmetol 10:887-891.